- Apologize all the time?
- Willingly accept the blame for everything that goes wrong in your relationship?
- “Walk on eggshells”, watching every word you say?
- Rehearse what you will say to your partner to avoid triggering a reaction?
- Cry more than you used to?
- Hide your feelings, especially anger?
- Constantly try to figure out how to get your partner’s approval?
- Give up interests, activities, and people that were once important to you?
- Constantly excuse your partner’s behavior to yourself or others?
Does your partner:
- Act jealous or possessive toward you?
- Restrict your contact with your family or friends?
- Check up on you constantly through emails, phone calls or texting?
- Blame others?
- Belittle you?
- Control what you do, who you see or talk to or where you go?
- Believe in stereotyped sex roles?
- Get too serious too fast?
- Refuse to accept breaking up?
- Abuse drugs, alcohol, or other mood-altering substances?
- Pressure you to use/abuse alcohol or drugs?
- Pressure you for sex?
- Mistreat animals or children?
- Scare or threaten you or others?
- Use or display weapons to back up threats?
- Break objects, especially those that are important to you?
- Act like the abuse is no big deal, it’s your fault, or even deny doing it?
- Threaten to take away or hurt your children?
- Take your money, make you ask for money or refuse to give you money?
If you answered yes to even one question, you could be in danger.
Questions? Call SafeHaven’s 24-Hour Hotline: 1-877-701-SAFE(7233) or National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233). All calls are confidential.
If you are in immediate danger, call 911.
All calls are confidential.
Information compiled from the National Domestic Violence Hotline