- Apologize all the time?
- Willingly accept the blame for everything that goes wrong in your relationship?
- “Walk on eggshells”, watching every word you say?
- Rehearse what you will say to your partner to avoid triggering a reaction?
- Cry more than you used to?
- Hide your feelings, especially anger?
- Constantly try to figure out how to get your partner’s approval?
- Give up interests, activities, and people that were once important to you?
- Constantly excuse your partner’s behavior to yourself or others?
DOES YOUR PARTNER:
- Act jealous or possessive toward you?
- Restrict your contact with your family or friends?
- Check up on you constantly through emails, phone calls or texting?
- Blame others?
- Belittle you?
- Control what you do, who you see or talk to or where you go?
- Believe in stereotyped sex roles?
- Get too serious too fast?
- Refuse to accept breaking up?
- Abuse drugs, alcohol, or other mood-altering substances?
- Pressure you to use/abuse alcohol or drugs?
- Pressure you for sex?
- Mistreat animals or children?
- Scare or threaten you or others?
- Use or display weapons to back up threats?
- Break objects, especially those that are important to you?
- Act like the abuse is no big deal, it’s your fault, or even deny doing it?
- Threaten to take away or hurt your children?
- Take your money, make you ask for money or refuse to give you money?
If you answered yes to even one question, you could be in danger.
Call SafeHaven’s 24-Hour Hotline: 1-877-701-SAFE(7233) or National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233). All calls are confidential.
If you are in immediate danger, call 911. All calls are confidential.
Information compiled from the National Domestic Violence Hotline.